Regular servicing is key

Fire Safety.

The biggest danger you can experience from a woodburning fireplace is a chimney fire. This is caused from a buildup of creosote in the flue catching fire.

 

Creosote is a highly combustible wood byproduct released in the combustion process, and is black or brown in apperarance. It may be thick and tar-like, sticky, flaky, or shiny and hardened.

Chimney fires do not have to happen. Here are some ways to avoid them:

 

• Have the chimney inspected and cleaned regularly (the Australian Home Heating Association recommends once a year).

• Use only dry seasoned wood (dryness is more important than hardness).

• Never burn cardboard boxes, christmas paper or rubbish in the fire, as the sparks can set off chimney fires.

• Build smaller, hot fires that burn more thoroughly and produce less smoke.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You may have had a chimney fire, or may be in danger of having one if:

• You have "puffy" creosote with rainbow coloured streaks.

• Warped metal.

• Cracked or collapsed flues.

• Discoloured or distorted rainhat.

• Creosote flakes and pieces found on the roof or ground.

• Roofing material damaged from hot creosote.

• Cracks in masonry.

• Evidence of smoke escaping through glues, firebox or masonry.

 

 

 

If you have a chimney fire

01

02

Evacuate the house

 

 

Call the fire department